Wednesday, March 9, 2011

1 Month

1 month ago today, February 9, 2011, began this journey. I joined SparkPeople on January 12, inspired by the lovely Lydia at Rants from Mommyland. I had been "trying" to lose weight since last winter after my daughter was born. By trying, I mean wanting. I just couldn't get it together during that first year of motherhood though.

But on February 9, something clicked. I'm not sure what happened. I don't know what was different about that day than January 18 or February 2 or any of the days for the last year. I think it all comes down to just being ready. You really have to be ready to embark on a project like this. I was tooling around on SparkPeople and read a little about the Sparkdiet that said in the beginning to worry more about tracking food and less about calorie ranges. I decided that I could do that. I could track my food if I didn't have to worry so much about calories right then, I just wanted to get my binging under control.

I also decided to start trying to make the 8 glasses of water goal. I don't traditionally love water but I gave it a try. After a few days of tracking everything and drinking water, I was in like Flynn, baby. I was ready to count calories and start the C25K program. Once I went on that first run, I was revived - it felt so good to run again.

A month later, I am down 9 lbs as of this morning and finishing up W4 of the C25K. I've also been working in a little 30 Day Shred and been very amazed at how much progress I have seen on that. (Here is where I fight the urge to downplay and say that "well, it's easy to see progress when you are starting from such a low point).

The self-flagellating part of me wants to beat myself up for not getting going earlier. But I wasn't ready. There are many people who are ready earlier in motherhood, but I wasn't. Dealing with working full-time while trying to be a good mom took all of my focus.

The other negative part of me wonders if I'll be here to write a 2 month post. Like so many here, I've started and stopped many times in my struggles with weight. The answer: I don't know. All I know is I am here today and I'm pretty sure I'll be here tomorrow. There are a lot of things coming up that I need to be here for, The Virtual 5K, the RFML 100 days challenge (Bring it, Snitches!!!) and just continuing to get know some of my new friends. I love watching other peoples' progress as much as my own.

So that's where I am today. Here's where I'll be tomorrow. One day at time. One pound at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment