Friday, February 25, 2011

I'm a runner again.

So I have mentioned before that I used to run a lot. Back before I got fat there were, 5Ks, 10Ks, 10 milers, 1/2 marathons and even a marathon. But the sloth I have slipped into over the last few years has be starting back at the beginning. I'm doing the C25K program. I was afraid to try anything more ambitious. I was afraid that at my weight I wouldn't be able to even jog.

But you know what? It's been easy. The first two weeks have really been easy for me. I haven't worked up much of a sweat. I haven't been dying at the end of the running portions. I haven't been too out of breath when I'm done. I don't think this is because I am secretly fit under all my fat. It is just a great example of how much of running is mental. Yes, there is obviously a large physical aspect to it to, but for the most part putting one foot in front of the other over and over again is mental.

I broke through those mental hurdles years ago when I first started running. Back when the idea of running for 30 straight minutes was almost unthinkable. I crushed those mental hurdles when I got to mile 20 and still had to keep going for 6 more miles. One step at a time.
So now when I'm running despite being technically obese, I look at the training program and see 90 seconds and know that I can do that. I have done that.

Getting back into regular running has invigorated me. I hadn't realized how much I've missed it. I can't wait for spring and to have less pressure on my knees and the great runs that will bring. I've been bummed because the C25K program only call for 3 runs a week. It was only yesterday that it dawned on me that, d'uh, I can run as often as I want. The program is just a sheet of paper, not a law. Of course, after that revelation and looking forward to running tonight, we are expecting 50-60 mile per hour winds all evening and a run will have to wait until tomorrow (I only run outdoors. Treadmills bore me to tears.)

I pulled out my old running clothes and put them where I can see them often. They are my motivators. When I look at them I want to go run and run and run. I want to fit in them again. I WILL fit in them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment